Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool couldn’t justify Timo Werner signing
After months of speculation, Liverpool pulled out of the Timo Werner deal last week.
Werner, 24, is now expected to agree a move to Chelsea. That deal could be wrapped up in the next few days.
Jurgen Klopp has since spoken to Sky Germany to explain why the Reds backed out of the Werner transfer. He cited financial restrictions, saying:
There are all sorts of rumours in England about who Manchester United are going to pick, Chelsea are going to pick.
It’s rather quiet here (at Liverpool) at the moment, I think it’s safe to say.
At the moment, all clubs are losing money.
Discussing with the players about things like salary waivers and on the other hand buying a player for £50-60m, we have to explain.
An explanation, using the words of Jurgen Klopp, why the Timo Werner did not happen. pic.twitter.com/wmFSRG8ohT
— Liverpool FC News (@LivEchoLFC) June 8, 2020
LEIPZIG, GERMANY – NOVEMBER 02: Timo Werner of RB Leipzig celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and 1. FSV Mainz 05 at Red Bull Arena on November 02, 2019 in Leipzig, Germany. (Photo by Boris Streubel/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Why Liverpool’s decision to allow Chelsea to sign Timo Werner makes no sense
However, for ESPN reporter Gab Marcotti, Liverpool may regret their decision to allow Chelsea to sign Werner instead.
Marcotti has challenged the narrative peddled by Klopp, that Liverpool didn’t have the finances to push this Werner deal through:
Liverpool recorded a profit of £29m ($36.7m) in 2018-19 and £101m ($128m) the year before.
And while the 2019-20 numbers obviously aren’t in yet, they did make a £28m ($35.5m) profit over the two windows, while their imminent first title in 30 years guarantees they’ll earn more than every other Premier League side in TV income.
After noting that Liverpool did have the cash-flow to secure Werner, Marcotti also explained why the German international would have been a perfect signing at Anfield.
Marcotti argued that Werner’s versatility would have been a big benefit for the Reds:
Werner wouldn’t be “fourth-choice” — he’d be the first option to back up all three (strikers: Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane). Plus, all three will be 28 by the time next season starts, and all three have contracts that expire in 2023.
‘Klopp knows what he is doing’#LFC fan @RamboFYI says Timo Werner wouldn’t get into Liverpool’s front three
Agree? 🤔
Join us 👇
📲⚽️: https://t.co/jIu9hop7m4#bbcfootball pic.twitter.com/rh9rlhQ3kk— BBC 5 Live Sport (@5liveSport) June 7, 2020
Interestingly, Marcotti concludes that Liverpool’s owner, the Fenway Sports Group, likely torpedoed the Werner deal:
You can’t help but feel that this was an order that came from the bean counters at Fenway Sports Group. But based on the numbers available, unless there’s something we don’t know, it doesn’t make much sense. And Liverpool’s loss here is very much Chelsea’s gain.
Jurgen Klopp was told Liverpool could not afford Timo Werner and warned to expect no money for transfers this year, according to @JanAageFjortoft. pic.twitter.com/tLkFY7gftI
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) June 8, 2020
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND – OCTOBER 05: Gini Wijnaldum of Liverpool during the Premier League match between Liverpool FC and Leicester City at Anfield on October 5, 2019 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images)
Gini Wijnaldum’s Liverpool contract talks
29-year-old Gini Wijnaldum is out of contract at Liverpool in June 2021.
Wijnaldum has been a key player for Liverpool this season. In the league, he’s scored three times in 28 appearances.
In recent days, Italian transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has indicated that Wijnaldum is likely to extend his deal with the Reds.
Talks between Liverpool and Gini Wijnaldum agent to extend his contract are going so well… #LFC 🛑😉
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 6, 2020
However, Goal.com have thrown a spanner in the works, noting that some of world football’s biggest clubs would try to sign Wijnaldum if he became a free agent:
What the future holds remains to be seen. Certainly Wijnaldum, who will turn 30 in November, would have no shortage of suitors should he decide to end his stay on Merseyside next summer.
Barcelona are admirers, while both Juventus and Bayern Munich have had success with free transfers in recent years.
Soon Gini Wijnaldum will enter the final year of his #LFC contract.
It would be a surprise, and a big gamble, if the club didn’t find a way to renew it. He remains a massive part of Jürgen Klopp’s plans.
https://t.co/11RtnWPRaB— Neil Jones (@neiljonesgoal) June 7, 2020
from Football (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals - Feed https://ift.tt/3h8ZHQh
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you have any doubt, please let me know.