Leo Messi’s free agent exit clause
Huge news for Barcelona and Leo Messi fans.
ESPN have announced on Monday that Messi will remain at the Camp Nou for the next 12-months.
The 32-year-old Argentine legend is under contract at Barcelona until 2021.
In recent months, there has been plenty of chatter over whether Messi would leave the Catalans at the end of 2019-20.
Pique on Messi: “I know that Leo is able to leave for free at the end of each season. But we all know the commitment he has to Barca and it doesn’t worry me at all. He’s earned the right to be able to choose what he does with his future after everything he’s given the club.”
— Goal (@goal) September 6, 2019
Messi carved out a specific clause in his last Barcelona contract, which was signed in 2017. As reported in ESPN:
A clause was included that he could leave for nothing in the summer of 2020 as long as he communicated his decision to Barca before June.
Messi contract latest with @moillorens https://t.co/aojAraUn2g
— Samuel Marsden (@samuelmarsden) June 1, 2020
Lionel Messi of Barcelona lies injured on the pitch during the Liga match between FC Barcelona and Villarreal CF at Camp Nou on September 24, 2019 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Messi’s exit clause expires
However, ESPN now report that that clause has expired:
Multiple sources at Barca have told ESPN that the actual deadline was May 30, coinciding with the date when this season’s Champions League final was supposed to take place in Istanbul.
ESPN contacted Messi’s camp for confirmation, too, but they said, as a rule, “we don’t speak about contractual issues.”
Barcelona fans will now expect their club to work feverishly at trying to agree a new contract with Messi to ensure he remains at the club past 2021.
While Messi has previously indicated his desire to finish his career at the Camp Nou, he’s also discussed playing for Argentine club Newell’s Old Boys.
More insight into Messi’s expired exit clause
GIRONA, SPAIN – JANUARY 27: Nelson Semedo of Barcelona celebrates after scoring his team’s first goal as Pere Pons of Girona reacts during the La Liga match between Girona FC and FC Barcelona at Montilivi Stadium on January 27, 2019 in Girona, Spain. (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images)
Man City to complete Nelson Semedo signing
Sticking with Barcelona transfer news, Man City are reportedly poised to complete the signing of Nelson Semedo this week, according to Sport.
On the front page of the paper on Monday, Sport claim that Man City are willing to pay €40 million for the Barcelona full-back Semedo.
🗞️ — ‘Semedo 40M ‘[sport]
• Barça could close Semedo’s transfer to Manchester City this week.
• The English club might include Cancelo in the operation. Barça only want money. pic.twitter.com/b1craAo9Fq
— Barça Universal (@BarcaUniversal) May 31, 2020
Also see: Best Netflix, Amazon & YouTube football documentaries & movies to watch during coronavirus isolation
9 best football documentaries to watch on ESPN+ during COVID-19 quarantine
from Football (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals - Feed https://ift.tt/36NnT65
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you have any doubt, please let me know.