Some Premier League clubs are trying to stop the Saudi takeover at Newcastle
Newcastle United fans were originally told that the takeover could take four weeks.
However, according to the Times on Thursday, Newcastle fans are facing a sixth-week of waiting as the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund try to buy the Toon from Mike Ashley for 300 million pounds.
As has been well-documented, the Premier League are still trawling through documents regarding the Newcastle takeover.
One of the contentious issues concerns the relationship between the Saudis and a pirate broadcasting company BeoutQ, which is based in Cuba, who air Premier League matches in the Gulf without any legal rights.
The Saudis deny that they run BeoutQ.
Yet, the Times indicate on Thursday that some of Newcastle’s Premier League rivals are also upset with the Saudis and BeoutQ:
The Newcastle United takeover saga is expected to rumble into a sixth week as the Premier League continues to work through the 350-page submission from a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium, with rival clubs now expressing concerns over the deal and piracy issues.
It is believed that concerned clubs have written to the Premier League regarding the proposed takeover. The Premier League declined to comment when asked on the matter.
So which Premier League clubs are we talking about?
Unfortunately, it’s unclear which Premier League clubs are behind efforts to stop the Saudi buyout at St James’ Park.
However, it feels safe to assume that Sheffield United aren’t involved as they are the only other club in the league who have Saudi ownership.
So will the Newcastle takeover happen?
This remains the unanswered question on Tyneside.
Earlier in the week we presented a series of updates from UK reporters who all believed the takeover would eventually get over the line.
On Wednesday night, there have been more indications that the takeover could soon be over.
The Athletic’s George Caulkin – arguably the most trusted reporter on the Toon – has asserted that the takeover will happen.
Someone on Ashley’s side says it’s the most detailed and complex investigation like this the PL has done – the public nature of it has been utterly exhausting, for everybody. I’m sure you’ll care when it happens. And it will.
— George Caulkin (@GeorgeCaulkin) May 20, 2020
And then there are the more unreliable sources of news.
John Richardson, who is followed by the likes of Alan Shearer on Twitter, has claimed that a “reliable Middle East sources saying the Toon takeover has been given the go ahead”.
At last!! Reliable Middle East sources saying the Toon takeover has been given the go ahead. An official announcement is imminent. 🙏🙏
— John Richardson (@riccosrant) May 20, 2020
Moreover, some verified Saudi based accounts on Twitter have also indicated the takeover is almost over.
Saudi news station reporting the #nufc takeover is done. This journalist says it’s 99% complete with only an official announcement remaining. https://t.co/psAX83eIzQ
— NUFC 360 (@NUFC360) May 21, 2020
😍😍😍🤍🖤🙏🏼🇸🇦✅
— و١حد👆🏻uno👆🏻one (@wa7dpoet) May 21, 2020
Saudi TV keeping up its recent tradition of showing #nufc games to its viewers across the region. pic.twitter.com/9Nu5wxq2Ky
— NUFC 360 (@NUFC360) May 20, 2020
Also see: Best Netflix, Amazon & YouTube football documentaries & movies to watch during coronavirus isolation
9 best football documentaries to watch on ESPN+ during COVID-19 quarantine
from Football (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals - Feed https://ift.tt/3cPwPK9
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you have any doubt, please let me know.