La Liga aims for June 12 restart but Barcelona’s Gerard Pique raises concerns - sports gala

sports news latest sports news today sports news today football sports news cricket best sports news sports news football national sports news sports news Pakistan today's cricket news headlines international news sports news India sports news Urdu daily sports news

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, May 11, 2020

La Liga aims for June 12 restart but Barcelona’s Gerard Pique raises concerns

La Liga aims for June 12 restart

June 12 is quickly becoming a very important date in the European football calendar.

In England, reports on Monday claim that the Premier League could restart on June 12.

While in Spain, La Liga president Javier Tebas said on Sunday night, that football could also resume on the same date.

 

What La Liga president Javier Tebas said about June 12

Javier Tebas was interviewed on the ‘Vamos’ show on Movistar on Sunday.

On restarting football in Spain on June 12, the La Liga president said:

I don’t know. It will depend on the [government] phases. I hope it’s on 12 June. It will depend on the waves of the virus…

The Primera and the Segunda divisions will complete at the same time.

There will be football every day for 35 days.

 

Javier Tebas: What else did he say?

As reported by the Athletic’s Dermot Corrigan, Javier Tebas also made a series of other eye-catching statements during his interview.

Perhaps the most controversial statement came when Javier Tebas claimed that the chances of footballers catching Covid-19 during a game will be “practically zero”.

Javier Tebas relied on a Danish study in reaching that conclusion, which has previously been analysed in the Danish science journal Videnskab.

In that report, a key conclusion was that players spend an average of just 90 seconds in close contact with another player during a 90-minute football match.

Professor of virology Allan Randrup Thomsen noted that “(the Danish health authority) estimates that you have to be within two metres of a contagious person for over 15 minutes before contact is relevant”.

Importantly, the study in Denmark also stressed the need for additional social distancing measures to be in place in order to keep footballers safe.

Those measures include no group dressing room activities, no group celebrations and a need for footballers to keep strict hygiene regiments including hand washing, no contact with others, and conscious efforts to curb spitting and coughing.

However, what Javier Tebas didn’t appear to acknowledge is that the science on this issue is far from conclusive.

An article published by the medical journal, The Lancet, warned professional footballers and elite athletes that the risks posed by contracting Covid-19 may be greatly increased by returning to sport.

 

A dig at Dynamo Dresden

German second division side, Dynamo Dresden, have been placed in quarantine after two of their players tested positive for Covid-19 over the weekend.

For the record, while the Bundesliga’s protocols don’t enforce such measures, Dynamo Dresden followed that course of action on the direction of their regional government.

However, La Liga president Javier Tebas suggested that other factors could have been at play when deciding to isolate the entire team.

 

There have been 8 positive Covid-19 results in La Liga

Over the weekend, the results from the first round of testing in La Liga were revealed.

In total, five players produced positive coronavirus results, while another three staff members also turned up positive tests.

Real Betis confirmed that two of the players were from their squad.

The identities of the eight individuals remain unknown.

When discussing those figures, Javier Tebas noted that the few positive tests were a boost for La Liga’s restart plans.

La Liga had previously estimated that 25-30 Covid-19 cases would be found in the first batch of testing.

 

Barcelona’s Gerard Pique raises concerns

While it’s clear that the La Liga president wants the league back as soon as possible, Barcelona defender Gerard Pique raised some pushback concerns on the June 12 start date.

Pique was also interviewed during the Vamos show, and the Barcelona centre-back aired his worries that Spanish football could resume too quickly:

Start on June 12? But the players have a concern and we don’t want the start of the league to be rushed.

We’ve stopped for a long time, unable to even play friendlies. I’d like it to be taken into account that we’re well prepared so that there will be good games.

A few more days of training will not be bad for us.

 

Also see: Man United, Man City & Wolves to benefit from UK travel quarantine exception as one UK MP mocks Kyle Walker.

UK government to allow Premier League restart on June 12 but so many questions still need answers.



from Football (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals - Feed https://ift.tt/3cn81ZH

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any doubt, please let me know.

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages